71 "Eagles" Squadron RAF

American Volunteers who flew with the RAF before the USA entered the war

Moderator: Command Officers

Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 am
Location: England
Great Britain

71 "Eagles" Squadron RAF

Post by 334th_Padre » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:23 am


On 19 September 1940, at the height of the Battle of Britain, No. 71 was reformed at Church Fenton as the first 'Eagle' Squadron to be manned by American personnel.

Six of the original members were already members of the RAF. Eugene Quimby 'Red' Tobin, Andy Mamedoff, and Vernon Charles 'Shorty' Keough had all been in France, had escaped, and had subsequently seen combat with No.609 Squadron. Gregory 'Gus' Daymond had also been in France, but joined No.71 Squadron straight from training. Two other pilots also had combat experience: Arthur 'Art' Donahue with No.64 Squadron and Philip 'Zeke' Leckrone with No.616.

The coming months were difficult for these combat veterans. Most of the Squadron had only just arrived from America, and were still under training. The Squadron was equipped with Miles Master training aircraft, although they soon began to receive out-dated Brewster Buffalo fighters. Within weeks Art Donahue had requested and received a transfer back to No.64 Squadron. Meanwhile a concerted effort was made to 'prang' as many Buffaloes as possible to speed up the conversion onto a more modern types.

The Squadron received Hurricanes in November and became operational on defensive duties on 5 February 1941, flying defensive patrols out of RAF Kirton-on-Lindsay. In August they converted to Supermarine Spitfires, and began to take part in offensive patrols over northern Europe.

By this time two more Eagle Squadrons had been formed. On 14 May, 1941 No.121 Squadron had been formed at RAF Kirton-on-Lindsay, and in July No.133 Squadron was established at RAF Coltishall. Both were equipped with Hawker Hurricanes. No.133 became operational first, in September, 1941, followed in October by No.121. Both units were bolstered with experienced personnel posted from No.71 Squadron.

Both squadrons were initially put onto home defence duties, patrolling the coast line against German raiders or protecting convoys. In October, 1941, No.133 began to receive Supermarine Spitfires, as did No.121 the following month.

By early 1942 all three Eagle Squadrons were equipped with Supermarine Spitfires, and were regularly taking part in 'sweeps' over France. Some of these were fighter patrols, seeking out air or ground targets, while others were escort operations for bombing raids.

Their greatest test came on 19 August, 1942, when all three squadrons were involved in Operation Jubilee - the landings at Dieppe. This large-scale raid by British and Canadian troops on the French coast was supported by a huge RAF effort. Nos.71 and 133 Squadrons both took part in four operations over the beaches, and No.121 made three sweeps. Between them, they were to claim nine enemy aircraft destroyed, four probably destroyed and fourteen damaged, for the loss of one pilot killed and one prisoner of war, both from No.121.

On 29 September 1942, the Squadron was transferred to the 4th Pursuit Group, US Army Air Force as the 334th Pursuit Squadron and ceased to be an RAF unit.
Maj 334th_Padre
Squadron XO

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Post Reply